Rustic Hungarian Goulash Recipe (Gulyas) – Our sturdy recipe for traditional Hungarian Goulash consists of chunks of beef, potatoes, and heaps of paprika to create a superbly scrumptious and hearty stew.
Heat, savory, and satisfying… There may be simply nothing extra comforting than cuddling up with a big bowl of beef stew. Because the climate will get colder, my yearning for stew grows stronger!
However whilst a lover of basic beef stew, I need to admit that this deliciously easy beef, carrots, and potatoes dish can get a bit boring after too many servings. So, I figured it was time to department out and check out completely different variations of the identical primary beloved stewed beef idea. This Rustic Hungarian Goulash is on the prime of my listing – it has all of your favourite consolation meals flavors with a nice punch of paprika!
A little bit of backstory: Dan’s grandparents are Hungarian, and so this dish is a nod to his Grandmother’s beef and potato gulyas. Her unique model was a thinner “peasant fare” recipe, meant to feed a household on a small funds. My kicked-up goulash recipe is a little more sturdy, with a lot of veggies and smoky paprika. It’s nonetheless fairly cheap and easy to make, however is a heartier dinner for a giant household and glorious as a make-ahead meal.
What’s the Distinction Between Hungarian Goulash and American Goulash?
Whereas each stews embody beef cooked with a paprika and tomato-based broth, these two goulashes are very completely different. American-style goulash sometimes is made with floor beef and macaroni noodles, and is cooked rapidly in a skillet.
Hungarian Goulash, nevertheless, options chunks of meat and potatoes slowly cooked in a big pot. The result’s a comforting, wealthy stew with terrific depth of taste.
The Finest Rustic Hungarian Goulash Recipe
Hungarian Goulash is also called Gulyas, which is a Hungarian phrase for “cowboy.”
This dish was initially made by herdsmen as they have been out on the vary, utilizing no matter veggies that they had readily available. It might be a skinny soup or hearty stew, relying on what was out there. The pliability of goulash remains to be considered one of its finest traits, and recipes at present tremendously differ in preferences of elements and consistency.
We personally love a thick Hungarian Gulyas Stew. It’s the right meal to feed the household on a chilly fall or winter night time! Our recipe makes use of potatoes and seasonal greens, and is nice to make in an enormous batch for many assured leftovers.
What Elements You Want
The heartiness of Hungarian Goulash is created by combining a number of easy, healthful elements. We use contemporary veggies and, in fact, a beneficiant quantity of paprika to create intense earthy and smoky flavors in each chew.
Right here is all the pieces wanted to make an genuine and nourishing beef goulash:
- Oil – for sautéing
- Candy onion – peeled and diced
- Garlic – finely minced
- Hungarian paprika – candy Hungarian paprika is conventional, however you can even use smoked paprika in case you like
- Beef stew meat – use cheap chuck meat, cubed
- Pink peppers – seeded and chopped
- Carrots – peeled and chopped
- Bay leaves – stored entire
- Caraway seeds – for a beautiful bittersweet taste
- Canned diced tomatoes – you’ll wish to use the juices too
- Beef broth – or beef base and water
- Russet potatoes – scrubbed and cubed
- Parsley – contemporary, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
Different elements generally included in gulyas are celery, inexperienced peppers, or no matter veggies are readily available.
The way to Make Hungarian Goulash
This rustic Hungarian Goulash recipe does take little bit of time to correctly prepare dinner, however solely requires a few easy steps to organize.
- Saute. First, set a big 6-8 quart sauce pot over medium warmth. Add the oil, chopped onions, and garlic, and sauté for simply a few minutes to melt. Then stir within the paprika and beef chunks. Brown the meat, stirring always to verify to not burn the paprika.
- Mix. Subsequent add within the chopped bell peppers, carrots, bay leaves, caraway seeds, can of diced tomatoes with the juices, beef broth, and a little bit of salt.
- Simmer. Stir effectively, cowl, and simmer for an hour whereas stirring often.
- Stir and Simmer Once more. As soon as the meat has stewed and the carrots and peppers have cooked down, combine within the chopped potatoes. Cowl and simmer once more for an additional half-hour, or till the potatoes are fork-tender.
- Season. Stir within the parsley, style, and salt and pepper as wanted.
I hope you give this recipe a try to add Hungarian-style beef stew to your favourite cold-weather consolation meals!
Get the Full Printable Rustic Hungarian Goulash Recipe (Gulyas) + VIDEO Beneath. Take pleasure in!
Ceaselessly Requested Questions
How Lengthy Do Leftovers Final In The Fridge or Freezer?
This dish tastes much more scrumptious the subsequent day after the elements have continued melding. It’s a nice recipe for make-ahead meal prep! Leftovers will be saved in an hermetic container within the fridge for as much as 4 days, or within the freezer for as much as 3 months.
Can I Omit The Caraway Seeds?
Sure, you may omit the caraway seeds. You don’t want so as to add anything, however might use a really small variety of fennel seeds in case you like.
Can Hungarian Gulyas Be Made In A Sluggish Cooker?
Certain! You’ll nonetheless have to sauté the veggies and brown the meat on the stovetop.
Then add all of the elements to a big 6-8 quart crock pot and prepare dinner on LOW for 9-12 hours, or on HIGH for 6-7 hours.
Searching for Extra Traditional Consolation Meals Recipes?
Rustic Hungarian Goulash Recipe
Rustic Hungarian Goulash – Our sturdy recipe for traditional Hungarian Goulash consists of beef, potatoes, and many paprika to create a superbly hearty and smoky stew.
Servings: 8 servings
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 extra-large candy onion peeled and chopped
- 4-6 cloves garlic minced
- ¼ cup Hungarian paprika or 3 tb Hungarian paprika + 1 tb smoked paprika
- 2 kilos beef stew meat
- 2 giant purple bell peppers seeded and chopped
- 2 giant carrots sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 28 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 4 cups beef broth or water + 4 teaspoon beef base
- 2 giant russet potatoes peeled and chopped
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- salt and pepper
Set a big 6-8 quart sauce pot over medium warmth. Add the oil, chopped onions, and garlic. Sauté for 2-3 minutes to melt. Stir within the paprika and beef chunks. Brown the meat for five minutes, stirring to verify to not burn the paprika.
Add within the bell peppers, carrots, bay leaves, caraway seeds, tomatoes, broth, and 1 teaspoon salt. Stir effectively. Cowl. Then simmer for 60 minutes, stirring often.
Combine within the chopped potatoes. Cowl and simmer once more for half-hour, or till the potatoes are fork-tender.
Then stir within the parsley. Style, and salt and pepper as wanted. Serve heat.
Should you don’t have Hungarian paprika, be happy to substitute for an additional smoky or candy paprika that’s out there. Simply ensure to not use spicy sizzling paprika!
Serving: 1.25cup, Energy: 299kcal, Carbohydrates: 23g, Protein: 30g, Fats: 10g, Saturated Fats: 2g, Ldl cholesterol: 70mg, Sodium: 673mg, Potassium: 1114mg, Fiber: 4g, Sugar: 7g, Vitamin A: 5416IU, Vitamin C: 56mg, Calcium: 97mg, Iron: 5mg
Making this recipe? Observe us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we are able to share what you’re cooking!