Grandma’s Finest Ambrosia Salad Recipe – This marshmallow salad recipe is a fruity retro favourite that’s excellent for having fun with all summer season lengthy. This fruit salad will not be thought of a wholesome meals, but it surely’s fluffy, refreshingly candy, and fully irresistible!
Finest Ambrosia Salad
Does anybody else really feel tremendous nostalgic with every new season?
This brilliant, colourful Ambrosia Salad Recipe is one my Grandma used to make time and again every season and was at all times an enormous hit at our neighborhood gatherings. These days I make it typically for my household, who love having fun with it as we make our personal summer season reminiscences collectively!
You may simply make this fruit salad in solely quarter-hour utilizing many pantry staple elements, and it retains nicely within the fridge for as much as a whole week.
The Unique Marshmallow Salad
If you happen to’re from the South you then’ve in all probability had Ambrosia Salad at a summer season barbecue, or at your relative’s home.
You understand how a lot of a yummy deal with this fruit “salad” is. It’s additionally generally referred to as Marshmallow Salad or Marshmallow Fluff Salad.
You may be asking your self the place this Ambrosia Salad recipe originated…
Though many individuals relate Ambrosia Salad to the South, there isn’t any official file of its true birthplace.
Ambrosia Salad first appeared in a cookbook launched in 1867 referred to as “Dixie Cookery: or How I Managed My Desk for Twelve Years.” It gained recognition within the 1870’s in quite a lot of completely different cookbooks as nicely.
The Finest Ambrosia Salad Recipe We’ve Ever Made
Ambrosia Salad first began as a easy facet, but has remodeled right into a extra advanced dish of flavors and colours over time.
But its simplistic roots stay, with the usage of pantry staple canned items that collectively nonetheless style splendidly refreshing and brilliant.
An excellent (modernized) Ambrosia Recipe affords 4 issues:
- The consolation of Grandma’s kitchen
- A pop of recent fruit taste
- Traditional canned fruit add-ins
- An sudden ingredient or twist within the combine!
Some folks like to make use of bitter cream as the bottom, whereas others use Cool Whip. In my humble opinion, a mix of each elements creates the most effective taste.
I like so as to add inexperienced grapes for a little bit of freshness on this fruit salad, in addition to candied (crystallized) ginger for a shock contact of candy warmth in every spoonful.
You merely can’t go improper with these scrumptious elements!
What Substances You Must Make Grandma’s Ambrosia Salad
- Mandarin Oranges – The orange citrus provides a fragile tangy observe and coloration.
- Peaches – Contemporary summer season taste from a can.
- Pineapple – Provides a tropical twist to this traditional recipe.
- Maraschino Cherries – For coloration and additional sweetness.
- Inexperienced Grapes – Contemporary, juicy, colourful.
- Coconut Flakes – For a tropical underlying taste.
- Marshmallows – To lighten the feel with the proper quantity of fluff.
- Pecans – Utterly non-obligatory, however provides a little bit of crunch.
- Crystalized Ginger – Let’s spice it up! (That is my favourite secret ingredient.)
- Bitter Cream – Balances the candy flavors.
- Cool Whip – The very best gentle and fast creamy base!
- Salt – To convey all the colourful taste to the forefront.
How To Make Fruit Salad With Bitter Cream
- Drain. Set a big colander within the sink. Pour the canned mandarin oranges, peaches, pineapple tidbits, and cherries within the colander.
- Reduce. As soon as the fruit is nicely drained, chop every peach slice into 3-4 items. Take away all cherry stems, then reduce the cherries in half.
- Cube. Reduce the inexperienced grapes in half. Chop the pecans (if utilizing) and cube the crystallized ginger items.
- Mix. Subsequent, set out a big salad bowl. Pour the drained, chopped fruit into the bowl. Then add the grapes, coconut, marshmallows, pecans, crystallized ginger, bitter cream, and Cool Whip. Add a very good pinch of salt and gently combine the salad till all the things is nicely integrated.
- Cowl or Serve. Cowl and refrigerate till able to serve. Might be made as much as 7 days upfront.
Get the Full (Printable) Finest Ambrosia Salad Recipe + VIDEO Beneath. Take pleasure in!
Regularly Requested Questions
Can I Substitute Pecans for a Completely different Nut?
In fact! Attempt chopped almonds or your selection of nut as a substitution. You can too omit them if wanted.
How Lengthy Does Ambrosia Salad Final?
Cowl it tightly, retailer it within the fridge, and your Ambrosia Salad with Cool Whip and Bitter Cream can last as long as 7 days.
Can I Substitute One thing for the Cool Whip on this Recipe?
You should utilize a mix of heavy cream and sugar to make recent whipped cream to make use of instead of the Cool Whip.
The place Can I Discover Cool Whip within the Grocery Retailer?
You will discover it within the freezer aisle. Thaw it within the fridge.
Can You Freeze Ambrosia Salad with Bitter Cream?
Positive you possibly can, but it surely received’t thaw to the identical consistency as earlier than. The chunks of fruit will probably break into smaller items.
Wanting For Extra Southern-Model Salads?
Discover all our summer season facet dishes right here!
Grandma’s Finest Ambrosia Salad Recipe
Grandma’s Finest Ambrosia Salad Recipe – This marshmallow salad recipe is a fruity retro favourite that is excellent for having fun with all summer season lengthy. Though fruit salad might not truly be thought of well being meals, it’s fluffy, refreshingly candy, and fully irresistible!
Set a big colander within the sink. Pour the mandarin oranges, peaches, pineapple tidbits, and cherries within the colander.
As soon as they’re nicely drained, chop every peach slice into 3-4 items. Take away all cherry stems, then reduce the cherries in half.
Reduce the inexperienced grapes in half. Chop the pecans (if utilizing) and cube the crystalized ginger items.
Set out a big salad bowl. Pour the drained fruit into the bowl. Add the grapes, coconut, marshmallows, pecans, crystalized ginger, bitter cream, and funky whip. Add a very good pinch of salt and gently combine the salad till all the things is nicely integrated.
Cowl and refrigerate till able to serve. Might be made as much as 7 days upfront.
This recipe might be simply doubled.
Serving: 0.5cup, Energy: 172kcal, Carbohydrates: 27g, Protein: 2g, Fats: 7g, Saturated Fats: 3g, Ldl cholesterol: 6mg, Sodium: 35mg, Potassium: 218mg, Fiber: 3g, Sugar: 23g, Vitamin A: 675IU, Vitamin C: 16.5mg, Calcium: 40mg, Iron: 0.5mg
Making this recipe? Observe us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we will share what you’re cooking!