Our tackle the basic Southern Candy Potato Pie is made even higher in a hand-held pie. With a home made dough and the addition of vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg, these mini pastries make an important meal anytime of day.
What you want:
For the crust:
1 cups all-purpose our, plus extra for sprinkling
½ teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
½ cup chilly vegetable shortening or vegan butter, minimize into ½-inch cubes
¼ cup ice-cold water
For the filling:
1 cup candy potato purée
2 tablespoons maple syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon floor cloves
1 teaspoon floor cinnamon
¼ teaspoon floor nutmeg
What you do:
1. For the crust, in a mixing bowl, whisk collectively flour, salt, and sugar. Add shortening, and use a pastry cutter to include into our. Proceed to combine with pastry cutter till combination resembles coarse meal, nearly pea-sized.
2. Slowly add water, 2 tablespoons at a time, and stir with a picket spoon or combine along with your arms. As soon as dough begins to carry collectively, type into a decent ball. Flatten a bit, and wrap in plastic wrap or parchment paper. Chill in fridge for 1 hour.
3. For the filling, in a meals processor, add all substances and pulse till blended effectively and creamy. Put aside till able to assemble hand pies.
4. Take away dough from fridge and let sit at room temperature for 10 minutes to melt. Preheat oven to 350 levels. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking mat.
5. Flour a clear, easy stone floor or parchment paper, and use a floured rolling pin to roll dough at to inch, about 8 x 15-inches in diameter. Utilizing a 3-inch, circle-shaped cookie cutter, minimize out 6 rounds of dough and place onto parchment-lined baking sheet.
6. Fill every dough circle with 3 tablespoons candy potato filling. From remaining dough, minimize 6 extra rounds and canopy filling. Use a fork to seal edges, and bake for 20 minutes. Enable pies to chill for about 10 minutes earlier than serving.