Straightforward Szechuan Beef Recipe: This well-liked Chinese language Stir Fry Beef made with spicy Szechuan peppercorns and chiles is normally deep-fried. But you’ll love our Low Carb model simply as a lot!
Low Carb Crispy Szechuan Beef?
If you happen to’ve ever ordered crispy Szechuan beef at a restaurant, breaded, deep-fried, and kissed with a spicy sticky-sweet glaze… You may be questioning the way it might presumably be low carb.
You’re proper. This isn’t that Szechuan beef.
I imply it’s, and it isn’t.
It isn’t breaded. It isn’t deep-fried. And the stir fry sauce isn’t fairly that candy.
Nonetheless this Szechuan Beef Recipe is low in carbs, in comparison with most recipes. It’s filled with genuine Szechuan taste. And it’s tremendous fast and straightforward to make at dwelling!
Straightforward Szechuan Beef Recipe
Straightforward is the key phrase right here.
So usually making conventional ethnic delicacies requires:
- Elements we are able to’t get our arms on
- Gear we don’t have
- And plenty and plenty of time
Many genuine Szechuan-style dishes are this manner, involving limitless lists of substances and hours of prep time.
In the present day I’m sharing a condensed (and leaner) model of this beef stir-fry recipe, so you may expertise the thrilling flavors with out all of the fuss.
Does that make it much less genuine? Perhaps.
But in my humble opinion, you continue to get the show-stopper substances that make Szechuan delicacies particular, in order that’s what counts.
What Is Szechuan Taste?
Chances are you’ll be questioning precisely what the Szechuan model of cooking is…
Szechuan (or Sichuan) delicacies comes from the Sichuan Province of China.
It is among the hottest types of Chinese language cooking, exterior of China, as a result of its daring unapologetic use of spices and contrasting flavors.
We’re utilizing essentially the most iconic Szechuan substances in our stir fry as we speak, Szechuan peppercorns and Szechuan chile peppers.
Szechuan peppercorns create a gentle tingling (and even barely numbing) sensation in your mouth. Nonetheless, they don’t seem to be extraordinarily scorching on their very own. But they do amplify the spicy notes in different substances, giving them depth and intrigue.
Szechuan chiles peppers carry on the warmth! The mix of the chiles and peppercorns collectively offers many Sichuan recipes their distinctive taste.
What Does Szechuan Beef Style Like?
With the beneficiant use of the tingling peppercorns and spicy dried chiles, Genuine Sichuan Beef affords vibrant contrasting flavors.
- It’s wealthy and beefy.
- It’s salty.
- It’s candy.
- It’s tangy, from the addition of rice wine.
- And better of all, it’s layered with distinctive spicy qualities you aren’t used to experiencing in western delicacies.
P.S. If for some purpose you needed to choose simply Szechuan peppercorns or chiles, I might go along with Sichuan peppercorns. Their results on the palate are actually what makes Szechuan delicacies.
If you happen to can’t discover Szechuan chile peppers you may at all times substitute one other small scorching dried chile selection, or use crushed purple pepper as an alternative.
What Elements You Will Want
- Soy Sauce – I at all times purchase low sodium and gluten-free.
- Hoisin Sauce – A candy soybean and vinegar sauce. You’ll find this gluten-free as properly!
- Rice Wine – You should use Shaoxing, Mirin, and even dry sherry.
- Brown Sugar – Just a bit. Or use your favourite sugar substitute.
- Ginger – Freshly grated.
- Garlic – Freshly minced.
- Szechuan peppercorns – You’ve received to have them if you need your stir fry to style genuine.
- Flat Iron Steak – Or flank steak. Slice skinny in opposition to the grain.
- Cornstarch – Or arrowroot powder for thickening.
- Sesame Oil – And peanut oil to stir fry the meat.
- Szechuan Chile Peppers – Or one other small dried Asian chile. Even crushed purple pepper will do in a pinch!
- Scallions – A recent garnish on the finish makes all of the distinction.
- Sesame Seeds – AKA Asian sprinkles!
Steadily Requested Questions
How Lengthy Do Leftovers Final?
You’ll be able to hold this recipe within the fridge, in an hermetic container, for as much as 3 to 4 days.
What Can I Substitute The Szechuan Peppercorns With?
If you happen to can’t discover Szechuan peppercorns, you may add crushed purple pepper to style. It gained’t provide the identical numbing sensation, however will certainly carry the warmth.
What Is A Much less Scorching Model Of The Peppers?
In case you are very delicate to warmth, skip the Szechuan chile peppers and use a small quantity of crushed purple pepper as an alternative.
What Is The Distinction Between Hunan Beef, Ginger Beef, Mongolian Beef, and Szechuan Beef?
Let me break this all the way down to the fundamentals…
- Szechuan Beef – This dish is normally breaded and crispy. Then coated in a really spicy-sweet sauce. It’s usually topped with recent scallions or bean sprouts to distinction the spicy taste.
- Ginger Beef – Is a westernized model of Szechuan Beef, with the addition of carrots, and rather less spice.
- Mongolian Beef – Will not be sometimes spicy. It includes flank steak, scallions, brown sauce, and generally different greens like broccoli and mushrooms.
- Hunan Beef – Could be simply as spicy as Szechuan Beef, but with out the Szechuan peppercorns and chiles it hits your throat and palate another way. Hunan Beef generally contains extra greens.
Extra Wonderful Chinese language Recipes
Straightforward Szechuan Beef Recipe
Straightforward Szechuan Beef Recipe: The favored Chinese language Stir Fry Beef made with spicy Szechuan (Sichuan or Szechwan) and chiles is normally deep fried. But you may love our LOW CARB model simply as a lot!
In a liquid measuring cup, add all of the substances for the stir fry sauce. Slice the scallions and put aside. Enable the ginger, garlic, and Szechuan peppercorns to soak when you slice the meat.
Lay the flat iron steak on a slicing board. Lower the meat in opposition to the grain into skinny slivers. Then toss the meat strips with the corn starch.
Set a wok (or XL skillet) over excessive warmth. Add each oils. When the oil begins to smoke, rigorously toss within the beef strips and Szechuan chiles. Shortly transfer them across the wok to stir fry the meat on either side.
As soon as the meat is usually cooked (2-4 minutes) stir within the sauce. Enable the sauce to simmer and thicken. As soon as it reaches your required consistency, flip off the warmth. Serve heat, sprinkled with chopped scallions and sesame seeds.
- You’ll find Szechuan peppercorns and chile peppers at a grocery shops with good worldwide sections, at Asian markets, and on-line.
- Though Szechuan chile peppers are historically served within the stir fry, they don’t seem to be meant to eat. You’ll be able to take them out earlier than serving when you like.
- In case you are very delicate to warmth, skip the Szechuan chile peppers and use a small quantity of crushed purple pepper as an alternative.
- Shaoxing wine is Chinese language, but Mirin is Japanese and infrequently a lot simpler to search out. You should use both.
Serving: 5oz, Energy: 329kcal, Carbohydrates: 10g, Protein: 23g, Fats: 19g, Saturated Fats: 5g, Ldl cholesterol: 75mg, Sodium: 528mg, Potassium: 451mg, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 6g, Vitamin A: 315IU, Vitamin C: 1.7mg, Calcium: 40mg, Iron: 3.5mg
Making this recipe? Observe us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we are able to share what you’re cooking!